1st team win the league!

Well done to the 1st team who won the league on Saturday with a thrilling 10-9 victory over second placed Stockport.

The game started slowly for the lads, going behind one goal through a Stockport transition. The champions elect were quick to respond with two goals from DC, one an outside shot fed by Boydie and one an inside finish from a great pass by Martin after drawing a flag. Watson would finish the quarter by scoring a trademark goal after dodging from X. The first quarter finished 3-1 thanks to some solid defensive work from Bev, Rhino, Smithy and Borat. Watson led the attack into some patient sets as he has done all season with great success.

The second quarter was a poor one from Cheadle, with Stockport bouncing back as they know only to well how to do so. They took that quarter 3-1, with Cheadles goal coming at a very important moment from Martin Paterson, proving a lot of people wrong by dodging onto his right hand and finishing nicely.

Into the third quarter, where both teams struggled to make a massive impact. Dexter took advantage of a man up opportunity to make it 5-4 before Stockport hit back once more to bring the game tied at 5-5 going into the last quarter.

Cheadle would have still won the league had they avoided defeat of a two goal margin, due to the head to head record of the previous league game with Stockport. This was not going to hold them back though, with the green and gold doing everything they could do win the game outright. Step up Matt Collier, who led the way with two quick goals to make it 7-5. One was a dodge onto his right and finish while the other was a man-up goal after a pass from DC. An amazing few minutes from Collier who has been outstanding all season.

Once again though, Stockport bounced back with some experienced attack play and brought the game back to 7-7 with about ten minutes to go. Another man-up opportunity came for Cheadle, with Martin drawing out a man, passing to DC who faked another pass only to roll inside and finish high: 8-7. Danny Smith, seen by many as the best player in the country, stepped up next, leading the way with a transition from back to front, giving it to DC who fed Ady for a tidy low finish. 9-7 with under 10 minutes to play: surely it is all over?

Nope, you guessed it. Stockport hit back with another two goals, both from Chris Bland, the oldest and most experienced player in the league. He had already scored two in the game and scored another brace to bring the game back level. Always a threat and his ability to score when it matters shows why. 9-9 with a minute and twenty left. If Cheadle can avoid conceding another two, the league is theirs!

Chris Brady brought up another face off win – vitally important at this time – and drew a flag in the process. This led to a man up opportunity with about a minute left. The ball went round the goal with little threat until DC saw Ady open and threw the pass, only for Ady to let it rip into the top corner of the net. It was a fantastic shot which would have gone in on most keepers and sent the onlooking Cheadle faithful into raptures. The trademark Ady finger wag came out in celebration. 10-9 to Cheadle.

One more face off would be won by Brady, who gave the ball to the attack and saw the clock count down to zero and league title number 22 in 43 years came back to the home of lacrosse.

Mentions must go to Nando who made 13 saves, Brady who won 14 out of 20 face offs and Borat and Smithy who worked tirelessly with Brady on every face off to come up with the lions share of possession.

It is not over yet though, the flags final awaits!